Communication is a Wonderful Thing
This year is such a different experience than my past two years of service. Now that I am in the big city and have two site mates who are within a ten minute walk from my house, I feel that communication is so necessary that if anything goes wrong, it's not exactly like we can hide from each other. There are 5 PCVs in this city, 2 live about 4 k further down the road. Another thing about communication that I've seen in the past week is with my landlord. He saw an opportunity to make an extra 350 MTn off of me and took the opportunity to tell me that my house had gone from 250 MTn to 600 Mtn in one night basically. I talked to people at work and they handed me a couple of receipts that showed work they had done on the house and told me he had to pay them back now (which he won't) if he raises the rent (which he didn't.) He has to come and discuss it with my boss because it is my organization that pays the whole $10 a month rent and not me. He's not going to come to the office and I'm comfortable now talking to everyone as an equal at the office, as long as I don't have a bad Portuguese day!
The other thing that is changing my life so much this year is Internet access. My job got broadband and they need someone to run the network and just make sure that viruses don't come in. You should see how many I found when I did the first sweep with Norton, thanks Noel. But this is letting me keep on top of keeping in touch this year, it lets me upload items and send this pithy blogs to you all which I know certain people are reading thanks to a friend of mine who gave me this link that makes me think she works for MI-6. Hopefully I'm not blowing here cover and causing some sort of leak on the other side of the Atlantic! J When I was back in the States for my month home leave, I was astounded by so much of the technology I saw. I got involved in Facebook and I think that's one of the best things I could have done. It's so much cleaner than Myspace in my opinion and it doesn't take up the precious bandwidth that Myspace does when people put songs and god knows what else onto their pages. But the best thing about Facebook for me is I found a friend who I wronged some years back for very stupid reasons. I found this person and "friended" them on Facebook and to my complete and utter joy this person accepted! I still haven't written a complete note to this person but I will soon. There is a flip side to this inter-connected life we lead though. I haven't heard from another friend in about a year – I have NO idea what for. However with the help of some international "agents" who gave me the link I can see that this person is still reading the blog. Twilight Zone material huh?
--
~Ian~
+258 825 232 821
www.weltwanderlust.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment