Sometimes in the land of cheap and plentiful (America) one can lose track of the little things that make life so sweet. I know I am guilty of that. In America, I usually have a screen blaring at me most of my waking hours. Unfortunately, it comes as part and parcel of being a social media coordinator. I would even go so far as saying it is part of 21st Century American culture.
Since I've been here in Namibia, I've fallen in love with this continent all over again. Namibia is quite different from Mozambique, which will always be my terra africana, but there are hidden gems woven into Namibian culture that I am learning to appreciate every day.
My first example just happened to me. I am here in downtown Windhoek having a beer and doing some internet work. Some guy walks by me and speaks to me in Afrikaans. I answered in Afrikaans, saying it's not my mother language but I can understand. We procede to talk (in Afrikaans) and of course he is selling something. But he was selling the marulla nut pendants that I've only seen in Namibia. We got talking further and he wanted N$50 per pendant. I told him he is gek (crazy) and he started laughing that an American would know a word like that. I had some fried on my table so I offered him some fries and now I have both pendants with Adam and my names carved into them for N$50.
The other wonderful thing - dare I say miraculous - happened earlier. I went to a book store in Windhoek that I've passed on a regular basis. The rainbow flag is outside, so I knew I had to check it out. I went in and started talking with the owner. He is a middle aged German-Namibian and offered me tea. I took it and spent the afternoon chatting with him and some of his friends in German. I was looking for an old book about Windhoek, which he had for only N$58. I paid N$50. While I was helping him shut down the shop, I chanced across some plays from around the world. I noticed some Shakespeare so I looked for Twelfth Night. AND I FOUND IT! The price tage was N$50 and he gave it to me for free.
Now I am off home, because the Germans are coming to pick me up in an hour for a Braai (Southern African BBQ) at their house.
More soon,
Ian
No comments:
Post a Comment