Tuesday, February 14, 2006

You never get Africa out of you!

Boy is that ever the truth. From the rythmic "thump...thunp" of a Mozambican mortar and pestal the size of a granfather clock, to the fireworks Africa sets off every night at sunset, she gets under your skin and stays there for life. She also has a few diseases to make sure you always remember her. Many of you have probably heard, I've got Malaria. I'm down in the Capital Maputo right now to get some tests and I went through the drug treatment already.
Let me tell you though, I have never felt so sick in my life. I hope to God that I never get arthritis because the joint pain I've experienced over the past week has been hell. But let me tell you how this first came on. I had been watching the superbowl with my friends Mike, Justin, LeeAnn, Josh and Meridith. We all gathered at a television for the one AM viewing. Some of them were from Pittsburgh so it made for a good party. I was on my way home and got sick on the way. Now I thought it was just because of lack of sleep. I then went home and tried to get some sleep but realised I have a 40 degree celcius fever. That is about 104! So I called the doctor and she had me go to the local hospital to get a malria test done. Taking ones own blood is not an easy task, yet somehow I've done it.

The symptoms of Malaria are a lot like the flu. But thank God it is so easily controlable and nothing really happens if you catch it early... if you are rich, white and working for the American Government.

See you all soon

Ian

3 comments:

TheApA said...

hey,
That's no fun that you got sick, but I guess it's all part of the experience, huh. I'm sorry I haven't kept in better touch, no excuses, I'll try better. It sounds like you're having an amazing time and an amazing experience! Keep on having a blast!
love, me.

Noel Hefele said...

woof! Glad it wasn't too serious

Anonymous said...

Ian I thought I warned you about having sex with mosquitos!