Monday, March 27, 2006

Can I have a tee shirt with that?

Oh my god, I'm back from the dead. Sorry for the long absence but someone has seemed to press the fast forward button on my life here and the fact that 5 weeks have passed since my last post seems unreal. Anyway, right now I am waist deep in final exams of my 600 8th graders. True to Mozambican style, I got my class schedule changes about halfway through the trimester. Now I teach 600 8th graders 3 days a week and I teach my fellow coworks one day a week. It leaves me with free mondays, to travel, to relax, or to sit in my darkened house pretending I'm not home. Calm down, I'm joking. Anway, by some miracle, I don't get supremely bored grading papers. I just tune into Bush House in London and before I know it I've got one glass of 75 students in the corrected pile. It also helps time pass quickly. I'm going to be a guru in the art of time management by the time Africa is through with me.

Moving on to my title... it seems if you through a free tee shirt into the deal, you can get Mozambicans to do or come to anything. I mean I understand completely. Especially since I have started to recognise my students on the basis of the clothes they where - and there are no uniforms at my school. In January, my friend put together a concert for AIDS awareness and as soon as the word got out that there was going to be a free tee in the deal, we had a packed house. I'm going to be involved in a national boys conference in about 3 weeks. Again, my students found out that a tee is going to be thrown in and they signed the dotted line with gusto. Its just very interesting to see the values and what some people will do for something that Wal Mart sells in packs of three for $8. (Which is what most people make a month here)

Do you ever wonder that things lining up in your life and making perfect sense are the gods smiling down on you or the cosmos aligning in your favour? (Pick your belief) Well, the other day I was going to the store to pick up some food to bring to my site mates house to make dinner. The lady that runs the electricity board in town drove by and asked if I were going to Inhamussua, the neighborhood where my site mate lives, I said yes and jumped in with her. I noticed someone in the back of her car who I recognised to be one of my brightest students. I climbed into the truck confused but thankful I wouldn't have to take a bus. I find out the EDM lady is his mother and she wanted to talk to me about the conference I had invited her son to attend. I had met her my first week at site and never made the connection. But now I've got the connections in town and I dont think my electricity will be going out any time soon.

Ill keep you updated about the conference and promise it will be in less than 6 weeks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was so worried about you! I am glad that you are back from the dead and giving away free t shirts like a good zombie should. :)
I look forward to talking to you soon. This summer wont be the same with out talking to you.

jessi said...

You better be nice to her son or your electricity may go out permanantly.