I originally planned this title to talk about the oppressive heat we've been having over the past couple of days but then I realized it could be a reference to a whole bunch of things. Let's talk about the heat first. Many of you guys may have heard about the Cyclone (read hurricane) Favio that roared through here about 10 days ago. It was very interesting. Luckily I was not in the direct path of his sweaty fury. It was 200 kilometers north of me that really got hit bad. I feel bad because in the resort town of Vilankulo, the World Bank just built a municipal market ground and a brand spanking new secondary school - both of which got leveled. It was an initiative to extend education and business in the area. That is the first drip drip.......drip drip. Development work moves along at that pace but when you finally get it moving, well you know. Favio came through and we were put on stand ready. I had to pack a bag and be ready to go. But we didn't have to go and I have very happy.
Last September, I built a gutter on the building in front of me. I wanted it to catch the rain water so I didn't have to get ladies to go to the river for water. I've got a holding tank that is roughly 340 liters of water. Thanks to Favio I didn't have to get water for 10 days! Let me tell you 20 liters of water hurts on the head. That is the second drip drip... drip dip.
Now, I've finally gotten my secondary projects going. Two nights a week, I have a group of kids in the community come and we play and learn English in a less foreboding atmosphere than school. Four nights a week, I have the adults coming to learn English where they don't feel that the students are kicking them down because they can't speak English. I'm getting my mural club started up again from last year that floundered after my operation. Finally I am starting a theatre comp for the province of Inhambane. that is the third and final drip drip.. drip drip....
I finally feel like I am getting started here in Africa and I only have 9 months left.
More soon
No comments:
Post a Comment