SO First off just want to apologize for slacking on the writing. But I think I've been busy. I'm teaching five classes of 9th grade English at the secondary school this year. 3 of my classes are taught under trees. The school exploded by about 2000 students this year. The roads are getting better so I think more and more people can come in from the countryside to my town to get to the school. We have almost 5000 students spread over three shifts. There is some group of people in the school from 6 am to 10 pm 5 days a week. So its a pretty busy place. They are building new rooms for the school but we shall see when they are finished.
Anyway, I want to tell you guys that I just found out about the flooding in Mozambique today. I saw it on the BBC website and thought. Hmmm, I live here and have not heard about it on the news yet. But its happening in a province called Zambezia which is where the Zambezi river drains out into the ocean. But north of the River Save, which is my province's northern border, it may as well be another country. But, all of us are safe. Even the volunteers up north are doing okay.
I'm putting some more photos from South Africa and vacation up on the internet. i'll send out the link and I hope you guys enjoy. KPlease feel free to make any comments. Before I post this though I want to tell you guys what happened last night. My friend Michael came up from Xai Xai to hang out before school started for him. He works at a Teacher Training School so starts later than us in the public school system. Anyway, we went out in town last night with some of my teacher friends. As per usual, a dance party gets started in the road after dark. Its what Mozambicans like to do. :O) But the Headmistress of the boarding school was out as well. She and I had been fighting but last night I asked her to dance in Xitswa and now things are behind us. She couldn't even remember what we were fighting about. I can but I didn't say. Trying to be diplomatic. I was just shocked about how music was able to make us friendly again.
Til next time
Ian
2 comments:
Thats a cute image. I just picture this pulsating image of lanky dancing Africans, all elbows and knees, in the road. Ian comes along, all elbows and knees himself. He asks this tall woman to dance and she reluctantly agrees. When she see his fancy footsteps, she melts.
hey strange glad to hear that you are ok. i also ditto your sisters post. well just an update all is well over and here and we miss you. mom locked roman in the car but well lets just say they broke the window and mom was freaking out more then i was. all in all things ended well and roman is fine. hope things keep going well for you. talk to later annemarie
Post a Comment