So I just had a conversation with my father last night about how I am getting so used to my time in town. Things are just comfortable. If I don't show up at the local bar just even to do my work and watch the BBC world service, the ladies who run it are very worried about me. It gets interesting though because no matter how comfy I feel in town, it is still a fact that I am a foreignor. That is part of what has been bugging me of late. I feel finally that I have good friends here in town but I am still looked at as a dollar sign for them. I don't understand why. I mean I look at them and think how lucky THEY are to have their family and friends around. They look at me and think how lucky I am to have my iPod around. As much as I love Liza Minnelli (that's for you Ed and Marc) she can get old after a while.
A friend of mine came over recently and I was listening to my iPod. He surprised me, so I didn't have time to put my iPod away. Now his phone cost 10,000 Meticais... he told me that. Anyway, he wouldn't believe me that my iPod costs 7,000, even here in Maputo. What I have or touch turns to gold, and let me tell you, THAT GETS OLD!!! To think I wanted to be famous one day. Now that I am, god please make it go. :O)
Back to the title of this blog. I was not the best show in town this morning on my walk to school. I have to walk through a cow pasture, that's lined with palm trees but still a cow pasture, to get to my school. Well, the temp has done down so it is mating season. I say I wasn't the best show in town until I flinched at a bull jumping in my direction. I understood what was said about me in Xitswa and responded in Xitswa. Needless to say, I became the hit again. We'll see what happens next week though when the commander in chief of Mozambique comes riding in on a helicopter, yes, a helicopter to town.
You'll see pictures soon.
Ian
1 comment:
yes.. I know every song on that ipod because you made me catalog them...
ps you still owe me a long email ;)
Post a Comment