America. A country or a continent? If I told a Mexican or a Costa Rican that I am American, they would understand. They would say, "so what, I am too!" In any language south of the Rio Grande, I would have to say that I am "estado unidense" or US American (United Statesian, literally translated) But, the past twenty four hours have gotten me thinking about names.
Kensington. Just sounds posh, doesn't it? I life on the cusp of Kensington, Philadelphia. I tend to tell people I live in Fishtown because it just sounds better. Fishtown sounds better?!?!?! I just imagine a bunch of fat crass women who you wouldn't want to mess with when I think of Fishtown. That may have to do with the term fishwife and the fishwives I met in the Fishtown of Maputo. Anyway, Kensington. That just sounds posh to me. I remember when I was exploring London for the first time (1996) and was based in South Kensington. I just thought if the garbage cans were covered in gold lettering than the place must be nice. I mean, it's called the royal borough, isn't it? Kensington Philadelphia is a whole different matter.
In this Kensington, there are regular police helicopter patrols. It's cool and makes you feel "safe" until they put the strobe lights on. Then you feel like you are in an Escape from New York scene. But last night, when I was coming home from Center City (Downtown Philly) I saw a bit of a commotion across the street from my house. Suddenly someone got curb checked. I heard the pop and freaked. I just didn't want to get caught up somewhere I didn't belong. I got my phone out to dial 911 but then someone ran out of Bob's Pub saying they already dialed 911 and I heard them coming. I had to go inside. But before I went inside, I saw them put the guy into the ambulance. He was bleeding and convulsing.
Welcome to America? Kensington on this side of the pond is not quite as posh. I guess this is a lesson to not take anything by its name.
Ate mais
No comments:
Post a Comment