I'm back in the land of the living and excited about all the bright, flashy things that are on offer. My favorite of the moment is Netflix. For $10 a month, I get one DVD at a time and unlimited streaming. Unlimited streaming!!! I'm catching up on all my favorite old BBC shows. Now I have access to finally watch ALL of Absolutely Fabulous. Netflix was also founded by a Peace Corps Volunteer from Swaziland. After 3 years in Africa, I feel like I know why he started it. Pure need. He's also famous for quoting "After hitchhiking across Africa with $10 in your pocket, starting a business doesn't seem so scary." I agree but would substitute teaching in there.
Yes I know I'm insane, but it is a wonderful distraction when your students tell you they saw their father get shot the night before. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I teach in the concrete jungle.
Another one of shows is Keeping up Appearances. It is almost 20 years old, but I love it. Unfortunately, as with most TV shows, it gets repetitive when you watch 3 episodes in a row! The need to put my brain off has become ENORMOUS! There is something curiously foreign about that British show though. Do people like that exist in America? There is the phrase Keeping up with the Joneses, which is said to originate in New York. But Americans in general are not so stuck up about class. You'll just have to see my neighborhood when you come visit me!
I'm definitely up for visits... hint hint... nudge nudge.
No comments:
Post a Comment