It was my first 4th of July in America for many years. The last 4th of July I spent in America was 2005. Before that I was in Australia and since then I was in Mozambique. I was excited to spend it in the true birthplace of America... Philadelphia. Apparently, Philadelphia was the second biggest city in the British Empire. It was second to only London. That means it was the second biggest city in the world. It's come a long way since then. But it still is a wonderful big city. 152 very distinct neighborhoods each with its own flavor and culture. (Great I've got 152 cultures to assimilate to!) The city tends to revolve around Independence mall.
Independence Mall is in the eastern part of Center City, so it's basically downtown. This is where the Declaration of Independence was written, signed, approved and read to the public for the first time. It is also the place where I experienced a tea party. I didn't even know I was in the middle of one. Needless to say, I felt like a fish out of water. I was beyond out of water. I was somewhere in the stratosphere. They were saying some things like "Commander in Thief" and "We're number one!" Some people were carrying signs saying "Today is Independence Day not Immigration Day." They're were signs of PALIN 2012 (Nightmarish thought!). They had a reenactment of the reading of the Declaration of Independence (complete with costumes) to exemplify how "far we've strayed" from our original course. All of a sudden, the crowd started chanting USA! USA! USA! I took that as my cue to leave.
Unfortunately, before I left, I saw a sign that said "Remember, Descent is Patriotic!" Now that the Democrats are in government, Descent is Patriotic again. Between USA! USA! and the descent thing, I'm having difficulty discerning the Republican Party from the NSDAP of the 1930's.
Happy 4th!
No comments:
Post a Comment