Saturday, April 20, 2013

Adventures as an LGBT Traveller...




I am lucky to live in a progressive western country where my sexuality doesn’t come into play in daily life.  Beyond the usual, “should I come out to this person I’m meeting or just stay gender neutral when talking about my family,” thoughts I don’t have to worry about my life or reputation because I am gay.

However, I’ve been living in Windhoek, Namibia since January of this year.  While homosexuality is not illegal in this country, there is an old law from 1927 (written by the then-South West Africa colonial government) outlawing sodomy.  Interestingly, the Namibian Constitution enshrines the right to privacy for all Namibians.  That said, prosecution under the anti-sodomy law is hard to enforce.

There is a marked dichotomy in societal views of homosexuality here.  The young tend to think that there are more pressing problems to address.  If a couple loves each other, who cans top them?  Expectedly, the “old guard” has other views.  Many claim that Namibian culture is deeply religious and conservative.  While they are predominantly Lutheran, the cities do have a definite cosmopolitan vibe: read liberal.

It has been an interesting and exciting time here in Windhoek and Namibia.  This is the first time I have lived, or traveled for that matter, to a country as a completely out, gay, married man.  While I find myself using the non-gender specific term partner, I don’t hide.  Yet, I also don’t announce it.  I was privileged to be introduced into the small LGBT community here in Namibia.  They report a legally frustrating life, yet they say they do not honestly feel persecuted or in danger.

This past week, headlines were rife with the first gay “marriage” ever performed in Namibia.  It was a star studded event at a nice hotel in the heart of the capital.  All newspapers, TV stations and other members of the media attended.  The headlines below provided for some interesting conversations at my book club last Thursday.



This couple got married in South Africa, where same-sex couples can legally get married.  They have planned to have commitment ceremonies in both of there home countries (Namibia and Botswana) so technically, no laws will be broken.  The students at my book club said “Namibia wants to move further into the 21st Century and this is a way to do it.”

What a fine statement full of such hope.  I’ve pledged to myself that I will take Harvey Milk’s words to heart.  “Everybody knows one.”  So while my sexuality is my business, I feel bound to show people that I am no different from them.  I just happen to be going to pick my husband up from the airport after I post this blog.  :)

No comments: