So I haven't blogged since I started my job as a teacher. I'm dreadfully sorry to everybody who has read this so much over the years. I'm going to start up with a vengence again because I've picked up my journal and felt so wonderful. But after 38 days of school (112 left!), two separate grade assignments, finally understanding the definition of crack baby and finding someone who likes me I'm back.
I'm writing to you today about two things. Since it is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, we have elections. That means no one really notices and nothing really happens. We call ourselves the greatest democracy on earth? I don't get it honestly. I woke up this morning really happy that I would be able to vote but wondering if it would really matter. Of course I decided that I would have to. I knew too many people in Africa that would have slapped me silly if I didn't vote. It's just something we take too much for granted. One thing for certain, I don't understand why we don't have a civil holiday. South Africa has a national holiday AT THE WEEKEND every year. When I went, I asked them how many people they have seen so far today. They said 25. 25 out of 400 eligible voters in the district! Is voting a nuisance?
The other nuisance was proved to me today. A teacher was complaining about how horrible life is right now. Then a good friend of mine sent me a story of someone he knows. This person was laid off a month ago but was able to get her old job back. Her new job requires a lot of traveling and moving around. The catch is she is blind. But she would rather worry about "that small" problem with a job than worry about all the other problems that come with not having a job.
So let's breathe!
No comments:
Post a Comment