It’s been a hard pressed issue for me to say that I’m truly happy to be American. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always liked the IDEA of America and greatly appreciated the benefits that come with its passport, but I’ve never liked our approach to the rest of the world that “we know best so listen to us.” Cause it’s becoming more and more apparent that we do NOT know best. I’m getting totally off topic though.
Witnessing this past election from abroad was a mixed blessing. On the positive side, I didn’t have to suffer the 2 year long campaign cycle. I hear there’s already talk about Palin starting up a campaign for 2012!?!?!?!?! Please NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the negative side of me being over here, I didn’t get to vote. I tried. I really tried. My ballot came on the day of the election to add some insult to injury. But on top of that, I didn’t get to take part in any sort of rallies et al. I would have loved to work for the greater good and hopefully will get a chance at some point in my life. The biggest positive in the campaign for me though is seeing that the world is ready to forgive us. I’ve always found it very amazing how the world supposedly “hates” America yet anywhere I’ve been there is always some part of Americana to be found. Even here in Mozambique, they may not have a McDonald’s, but they’ve got 4 KFC’s and they venerate Snoop Doggy Dogg like he is some kind of deity. The news the Tupac is dead hasn’t really hit hear yet. J Meeting new people has been so much fun recently. Without even mentioning politics, this new person inevitably will say PARA BENS when he or she learns I am American. Mozambique is in the middle of Provincial elections right now and the governing Party FRELIMO (who is the richer of the two parties) is out in force. It’s still the political atmosphere where anybody who wants to get anywhere in Mozambique joins FRELIMO…I guess old habits die hard. Anyway, when party caravans are going on the street, someone will usually recognize me who is in them and their will be some shouts of VIVA OBAMA interspersed with the other shouts. I just smile and walk on and say I’m for peace because I’m in the PEACE CORPS.
However, even the most racist South Africans I’ve seen here are genuinely happy about the Obama win. These are the kind of people that bitch about Apartheid being gone from their “Vaderland.” Yet they think Obama is the right direction that America has to go in. “Because he’s coloured. It’s a good first step.” I’m not joking, these are some comments I’ve heard around here!
I think I’ve strayed from the topic I wanted to write, but I’ve got a pretty preoccupied mind. I only have 21 days left in Maxixe – an area I’ve called home for 3 years. Then it’s off to Maputo for 5 days to exit out of the Peace Corps with which I’m officially done on the 11th of December! Here’s the plan to get my African self home.
December 11th I go to Joburg to pick up Jessica. We’ll travel around Joburg until the 14th of December when we go to Windhoek in Namibia. We’ll travel around the Windhoek area until the 19th when we go to Soususvlei (the tallest Sand Dune in the world) for 3 days. After which we’ve got 3 more days in Namibia, travel back to South Africa and then she’ll fly back to NYC on the 27th of December. I’m going to be staying one extra night. Gotta say goodbye to Mama Africa on my terms. J Then I fly to Berlin. Going to visit family and friends in the Berlin area until the 9th of January when I fly to London. I’ll be in London for 4 days just to say hi to important people. Then the grand entrance back to the land of Obama will be mid afternoon at Newark airport on January 14th.
Anyone want to pick me up????
No comments:
Post a Comment