Tuesday, November 04, 2008

VIVA AMERICA.... I hope

It’s not just Election Day in America, there are some political happenings here too, things that wouldn’t have looked out of place on the streets of East Berlin in the 1980’s. Mozambique has been under the control of FRELIMO since the day of independence, first because all other options were outlawed and then finally now because they own so much of the country, no one would be stupid enough to vote them out of power. But I’m not going to preach my views on them. I’ll do that when I’m NOT in the country anymore. I just want to give “ya’ll” a taste of what it is looking like around here.

I went for a quick errand run right before I’m sending this – just a walk to the central market to by some credit for my phone. I took a wide arc around the main square of town, trying to avoid the fist pumping VIVA FRELIMO! cries and went to get my weekly $4 of credit. The town is COVERED in red pamphlets, flyers, posters, bunting, you name it of FRELIMO and I saw 2 opposition posters, one of which was partially torn off the lamp post. You see, Mozambique has never really had anything but a presidential election before and they’ve only had 3 of those. 33 years of independence, one election about every 11 years! We’re on the right track! This year, people are voting for the mayors of towns, the provincial governors, the provincial assemblies right on down to comptroller. I’m joking about that last part, I don’t even really now what a comptroller does. But everyone is very excited about it – or very excited to get the free ruby red FRELIMO PARTIDO DO PAZ tees, I really can’t tell. The eerie thing is that people are in the back of pickups, going around town yelling different slogans and waving banners and flags around… something I want to avoid.

However, talk to me tomorrow, because if O wins tonight, I may just shout AMERICA OYE!!!!

No comments: