Sometimes in Africa, you get a lot of time to think about things in your life. I've had the pleasure of going 'back to Mozambique' this past weekend. I knew that I had to get out of 'white' Windhoek so I didn't go crazy starting at walls. So, I went to this place called Katutura, the location or township for Africans north west of the city.
Katutura (The place where we wish not to settle) is 10 kilometers outside of downtown Windhoek, but it could be another world. As I took a taxi into the location, I noticed immediately that the sights, smells and sounds changed and I was transported to Mozambique. I went out there to look at a project called KATU TOURS. The project received some funding from the office I'm working in now and I wanted to work out some of the details of the project in order to help with some of the social media marketing. Since, according to a recent CNN article, most Africans access the internet through cellular technology, it makes perfect sense to put your marketing there. Also, when you're a start-up with little capital, it works to your advantage.
KatuTours is run by Anna from Angola. She takes people from the city around Katutura to foster communication and some understanding. The ride is 10 kilometers and you stop at shops, the market and other spots throughout the location in order to get a better view. The best part for me was when we stopped at the Shebeen of Tate Buti. He's one of the biggest singers in Namibia and I'll be looking for a CD soon. While we were at the Shebeen, people were sharing with me beyond belief. The meat was delicious and kept coming, the beer was cold and the conversation was great. You need anything more?
What I like the most about this project, is that for N$350, I got 6 hours of a wonderful time with a woman who really cares about her community. She lives where she works and teaches others how to ride bicycles. Hopefully, she can get just a little bit of help because she is definitely learning how to fish.
Back to the beginning, I said in Africa you get alot of time. It shows you what is important.
More soon.
Ian
No comments:
Post a Comment