I had tried to write this on my iPad earlier but it didn't work. Yet for some reason, I wrote that first sentence on my laptop, now I'm on my iPad and it saved.... Oh the joys of piggy backing on any and all signals I can get!
I found a new cafe closer to my house than where I have been going. I think I'm going to give that other place a rest because of the story I'm just about to tell you.
My Internet at home is a USB stick that I buy vouchers for, punch in codes and get to use the Internet until the money runs out. I have had to severely modify my Internet use habits because the age of unlimited use with a very good bandwidth in America has spoiled me. There is no such thing as streaming, that'll eat up my credit in NO time as I found out my first week here when I wanted to finish the last episode of HUNG. It took 30 minutes to load and the credit was gone. (I can do Skype though, and voice calls through the Internet don't seem to be bad... As long as I'm doing NOTHING ELSE) So if anyone wants to Skype. Hint hint. The annoying part of it is that I have only found one place that sells recharge vouchers for over N$50. They only sell them for N$200 and most people I ask them for seem VERY confused. I've tried to develope a habit of buying at least a N$50 whenever I'm out.
I will be glad to return to the land of plenty in April if not for the mere fact that I've become too accustomed to having the Internet just at my fingertips.
Now, I've been going to a little shopping center around the corner from me. Near the DVD store and my local supermarket. There is a little cafe in there where you can get small snacks and good coffee or tea. There is also outside seating that they share with a fast food joint called Wimpy's. They are kind of like a cross between Denny's and Friendly's. The people there a nice and I've gone there a couple of times for coffee and a chance to upload some things to the Internet without taxing my connection too much. Once, when I first sat there, a guy came up to me and sat right down. He asked what I was doing, (reading on the kindle app) said his name was Peter and immediately asked for money. I stupidly gave him N$2 and he went on his way.
But fast forward to this past Friday - two days ago - and there was a different situation. I decided to get a coke at the Wimpy's and sat there soaking up the Internet. Peter came and sat down and immediately launched into a sob story about the tragedy at home. His grandfather died and he was the only bread winner at home. He then asked me for N$30 bucks. I said no. I didn't have it. He said well what about $30 USD - nearly 9 times the price! I got mad and told the waitress he was bothering me. She got a waiter who then proceeded to shoo him away for me. The manager asked if I could come inside to help her settle my bill, but she was really on the phone to security. They wouldn't let me go until Peter left. He was sitting just outside staring me down at this point. I ignored him.
M phone rang and a colleague from the embassy said she had some time to take me around town and show me spots where I could go work on other people's Internet without anyone bugging me. I was to meet her outside of the International Apotheke on the other side of the center. Not really very far away. The waitresses said she would escort me to the guards there and I could ain't there but she wouldn't leave me until Peter left. He didn't. He followed and started grabbing my bag and me, saying 'my brother, you promised me N$5!' I didn't. He wouldn't stop and so I made a scene. We were right in the local supermarket and it was pretty funny. Peter left cursing at me as he went.
My friend was there to pick me up, but her car was not yellow enough for the waitress who I had told I would be picked up by a yellow car. So she wouldn't let me go until my friend rolled down the window, said my name and I swore it was safe for me to go.
So, I'm not going to get upset about a local indecent person around here. I'm going to focus on the bright side that the waitresses like me and I feel safe with them around. I'm definitely enjoying my new place here at Utopia's Fresh n Wild cafe here. :) the coffee is better too.
Ian

No comments:
Post a Comment