Thursday, July 07, 2005

So it finally happened

The past two days have been full of news about London. That expensive, sunless, wonderful city I consider home has been torn apart today. 4 bombs exploded across the very center of the city at the morning rush hour. Having lived in London for the past 3 years on and off, I feel like I can understand the panic in the city. I know in my heart though that the British will keep their stiff upper lip to the nth degree. I think the reason I am so knocked around by this attack is because one of the bombs exploded right across the road from my friend's flat. The bus that exploded was right near a park that I frequented. What puzzles me is that the British people don't take the shit that their government shovels in their faces on a daily basis. They tend to excercise the ability that differentiates us humans from the apes...they QUESTION!!! Everyone QUESTIONS! There have been WEEKLY protests against the war and people are just generally more interested what goes on in other countries. My entire last year in London was spent under the threat of a possible attack from Al-Qaeda. Why does stuff happen like this?

I spent most of the morning on the phone with London to make sure friends of mine stayed away from Central London and were safe. It worked out too that a friend of mine who I ended badly on when I left in April and I talked. He was happy that I called him and it made me feel better. His girlfriend (also a friend of mine) couldn't reach him in London and I was able to reach her. I just calmed her incredibly. It was nice to be able to help a bit. Right now I am trying to take my mind of what is happening in London. Everyone please keep the city in your thoughts, it will need it.

1 comment:

Noel Hefele said...

we are so losing this "terrorism" thing. All they have to do is strike once a year or less.... :(