Wow, I never thought I would write a title quite like the one above. Let me just preface this with the thought that I still believe in universal Education, universal health care and a fair tax system. I think that means I believe since the government is "of the people, for the people" it should be in the interest of society.
I've got an interesting downstairs neighbor. He doesn't read this (I think) but I'm going to call him R. His flat is decorated with posters of Marx and Che. He listens to philosophy lectures for fun and every sentence out of his mouth has to do with Plato, Socrates or Aristotle. It gets old. Some other mutual friends consider him looney, but he is entertaining no less. A couple of weeks ago, I had this experience with him and some friends that prompted me to write this title. A 2L law student had been over and really into "personal freedom." He defines himself as a libertarian and has an interesting view of "personal freedom." It involved stripping naked and walking down Frankford Ave (A BIG thoroughfare in Philly) The cops picked him up. To make a long story short, he dissapeared for awhile - to read Nietsche (a bit of light reading no?) I later found out.
He reappered after some time and I got chatting with him a few nights ago. He apologized profusely for his "superman" episode and got talking about how we have to help each other. I'm all about helping each other, but this boy is calling for a communist overthrow. Somehow it involved him washing his clothes by hand?!?!?! I would love to see him accomplish that.
I'm just profoundly confused by him. I don't want to come across as a profound arrogant fool so I usually just sit back and listen to his rants. However, what I want to know is, once humans become involved; can communism really exist?
No comments:
Post a Comment