Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Meetup.com

There once was a time where you knew everyone on your block. You would talk to your neighbors and watch each other plants and pets when you weren't around. That's somewhat true in part. I know everyone in my building. That's not too hard, their are only 6 apartments. But, I'm not too sure I want to know everyone else on my block. You get the range of racists Catholics to downright scary prostitutes. So I've entered the twenty first century and joined meetup.com.


You basically sign up for meetings with like minded people in your city. So I looked into what Philadelphia had to offer. I put in German, Spanish, Portuguese and others along with my zip code. The results that came back were staggering. I joined 4 groups and soon will have a kicking social life... :O) But tonight was the first one, Portuguese. I got to know the south of Philadelphia better because I had to go to South 13th Street. That required me to get on the orange line. Gasp horror! The Orange LINE!! I never really have to go North or South in this city, so I braved the newness of it all and went two whole stops to Lombard Street. I walked in bedecked with my Mozambican Flag Bag in it's full AK47 glory. I heard some Portuguese and it was love at first hearing. Until I figured out the majority of people were Brazilian. I haven't spoken Portuguese in almost 3 months and never really learned the Brazilian accent properly. We had a good time though and will meet up closer to the Center City next time.

When I got home, there was a friend request on Facebook...

No comments: