Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Carpark...

So, I've been working parking cars at a hotel in University City in Philly. That's partly the reason why I haven't been completely coherent in the past couple of weeks. It's also the reason I haven't responded to many emails recently either. But I am fighting through my desires to take an afternoon nap and studying. I'm also trying to make sure I get some of my emails answered. Sorry everybody!!!

Anyway, I have a funny story of what has happened a few days ago. It's all been rather odd having a job at the front door of a hotel. It's in the middle of the University of Pennsylvania. I say it's funny because all the valets are these random guys (really butch) who comment on every female "bundas" that walks by. They also were almost in tears when the local team's announcer died last week. On the other side of the door, there are some obviously gay bellmen but no overt flag waving. In other words, I'm in the wrong department. It's actually really funny though. My uncle once told me that I should "know my enemies" so I can know my own beliefs better. I'm knowing my enemies for sure as I park the rich people's cars.

The other day, a congressman showed up at the hotel. One of his staffers came up to me earlier in the day asking if the driver could just park in our circle while the congressman was inside. It was fine by me as long as the driver stayed in the car. It is a fire lane after all! So I went up to the driver to ask him to move to the other side of the circle so I could park some cars on the side he was diagonally parked in. He told me that he had to stay where he was "so the congressman is not delayed when he comes out." The driver was this small little white boy that obviously was petrified to anger the congressman and it was probably his first job. I tried to reason with him, but gave up because I quickly saw I was not going anywhere. One of the bellmen came out who happened to be black. He went to the driver, said the exact same thing that I tried to say and the guy moved!!!! I laughed soooooooooooooooooooooo hard. The man probably never had a black person in such close conversation with him.

It was just funny to me that color matters so much still.

No comments: