Sunday, May 29, 2005

Two days and counting...maybe

So I've finally started work. Its been a long process of waiting as many of you may know. I've been up here about a month now and unfortunately worked only about 20 hours. Oh well, its been an experience. My uncle has been generous and let me use his car for the next two weeks. I'm going to be super spoiled by the end of the those two weeks and by the time I have to give the car back, I'm not going to want to ride my bike any more. I don't think that will happen though. God I hope not. So anyway, we are painting the trim, running boards, casements et al of a house about the size of 3 double decker buses parked end to end in the next town down the seacoast - Northampton. I love this part of the country, cause you can go from my neck of the woods (nice, obviously well off, but the houses aren't obnoxiously large) to the seedy revelry of Hampton Beach (down there it is like Blackpool meets Coney Island meets Its a Small World Ride) to the mansions in the fields of heather slightly inland. All of this takes place on a 13 mile stretch of coast! Pretty impressive I think.

Anthony, he's my boss, brought his Sharpei today and she is a doll. She entertained the kids of the house, played with the cutest 5 month old Golden, kicked its butt!, and got really scared when the thunder came rolling in. I hope she becomes our mascot. It will be fun to have her around. I began to think something was wrong though when seagulls came over the tops of the trees. When they are that far inland, something must be wrong.

I wanted to include something about last night in this blog entry because what happened was really surreal/scary. I say scary because I don't really know where it came from and I say surreal because I never thought I would be having that kind of time with my extended family. Overall I had a blast but the night just came out of nowhere and I really think those are the best nights, the ones that are only planned about 10 minutes before they actually start. :O)
Anyway, we tried our grill and for some reason could not get it started. So off to the Beach Club err...Surf Club down the beach to make dinner and as it turns out have fun. We had a really good dinner, ate 4 pounds of meat and stayed until closing. Why do I have a habit of doing that? But the reason we stayed so long is Lauren, Pete, Ed and I had such good conversations. I mean it all kept moving and I honestly felt that we all actually had an interest in what was being said. That doesn't happen very often. At the Surf Club though, they have two taps at the bar - Munich Spaten, and Red Hook Brew. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Spaten (wonderful Oktoberfest Beer) so I drank the Red Hook. No one is behind the bar, so members are allowed to pull their own pints. That could be very dangerous.... :) But yours truly is an angel. :)

Another thing I want to talk about is a book I'm reading. it's Martha B. Hopkins' Second Chances and it is billed as a Travel Narrative of Southern Africa. I am reading it as prep reading for Peace Corps. Unfortunately, it does not have much to do with Southern Africa. She spent 5 months in SA and 1 month in Namibia suppossedly. I do understand that she needs to express her thoughts and see them firsthand on paper. Hell, that is just what I did for my senior presentation for Friend's World. However, I think she could have done a better job with it because she is a bit condecending with the younger people in her story. Many times her facts or spelling is just wrong. Swaziland does not border Tanzania, but Mozambique, it is not Transkai but Transkei. Am I just being too padantic or is it a worthy feeling? Do we all try and justify our existance and force it upon other people to get acceptance or have them help us make sense of it all?


Thats it.


Oh wait it isn't, I went for a walk with the dogs and the cook from the Surf Club asked whether or not my family was coming back tonight, I guess we are popular!

No comments: