I remember when I was little I used to think how wonderful it would be to be able to just break out in song while walking down the street - ya know kind of like the old MGM musicals of the 1940's. But my brother always said how stupid that would be. I always hoped it would be true and now here in Mozambique, it is true...almost to the point of eerie. Mozambicans are ALWAYS breaking out into song. The sing and dance at the drop of the hat and I LOVE IT! Unfortunately they don't have the patients to teach my gangling mulungo body how to adapt to their rhythm so I just make it up as I go along... much to their amusement. The scary part though is when some new song comes out or a television jingle comes out EVERYBODY is singing it. It's absolutely astounding how many people can whistle the mCel tune. All I can think about is Big Brother from 1984. The reason I started thinking about this today is because of a couple of situations that happened today. Three friends came in to work. They needed to get stuff done from buying a phone to registering for the GRE. Somehow all was accomplished. As everybody left, so I could relax and surf the internet like a good PCV, I just heard the song from Hello Dolly creep into my head.
Now I'm going to ease on down the path to my house. Done for the day I hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment