I just finished watching the new Meryl Streep movie. All I can say if Mamma Mia! ROCKS!! I feel like I'm going to walk down to dinner singing an ABBA song. Who would have thought Meryl could sing? I just thought it interesting once because I remember in my big musical phase, I always bitched about the fact that they didn't make musicals anymore. I asked my dad why musicals weren't made anymore for the cinema and he told me that when times are good, movies are about desperate situations, and when times are bad (World War II, The golden age of Hollywood musicals time) movies show good times. So I just looked up the past eight years of musicals because I've just been noticing how at least one musical tends to come out a year. Remember W was put into office on January 20th 2001... keep that in mind
MUSICALS DURING THE RECENT BAD TIMES
2001 Moulin Rouge
2002 Chicago
2003 Nunsense
2004 A Christmas Carol
2005 The Phantom of the Opera
2006 Dream Girls
2007 Hairspray
2008 Mamma Mia!
Also keep in mind that through these years there are about 16 High School Musical Movies thrown in which I think is the definition of make people feel good when times are bad... or a nausea inducing candy binge. I may just have to vote for a republican to keep the movie musicals coming. Luckily I think things have been so messed up that the musicals will be coming even under a democratic administration.
Any thoughts on this "scientifically proven" research I've performed?
1 comment:
um i know you are the guru of musicals but technically Hairspray was a movie before it was on Broadway. per daddy Fred.
Post a Comment