Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Manchurian Candidate

My friends and I here in the area share our DVDs. It's a guilty pleasure that all of us indulge in. Denzel Washington's greatest hits... it's an 8 in 1 that they sell pirated here in Maxixe, showed up on my PCV netflix list. One of the films is the Manchurian Candidate.

I know the original is touted as better, but it has to do with Communists so the audience of 2004 (when the movie was made) wouldn't have related. We are supposed to be afraid of Corporations and Islamists... communists, who are they? I remember when I was very young and learning about the Red Scare. I asked my dad if he were really upset about the possibility of the Communists would invade America. I think this was during the whole duck and cover era in America. Anyway, his answer shocked me, he said yes! I think I laughed because I just couldn't imagine it happening. The only thing I could imagine would be the other way around. What got me thinking in this movie is how from 1962 (Communists) the antagonist could be easily moved to corporations and even Islamists. I think we should be afraid of the extremists on all sides (in a casa branca) and not just believe what's thrown at us. What's next? Should we be afraid of Polar Bears so we can feel less guilty when they are extinct?

?????

No comments: