Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sorry about yesterday.

I’m sorry I ranted and raved yesterday. I’m going to be pretty glad when this election is over. It seems to just get me so fired up that all I do is complain about something or someone. I feel sorry for all of my family and friends who are in the States right now. I can’t imagine what it must be like to see this campaign smearing everywhere you go.

This whole thing with McCain and RENAMO really got me angry though. July 18th 1987 was the worst massacre that happened in the Mozambican civil war. I’ve been to 2 memorial service for it and people are still talking about it as if it were yesterday. RENAMO was able to kill “officially” kill 436 people. Truthfully the number is closer to 1,000. Here are some pictures from the 20th anniversary of the attacks.





The 350 people buried there are the bodies that were deemed "whole enough" to merrit burial under traditional beliefs and could be identified. They mention the hospital in the articles where RENAMO started killing bed ridden patients and pregnant mothers. I’ve gotten treated for malaria at the hospital. There is a little shrine in the hospital with NEVER AGAIN written over it. Hopefully it will never happen again. McCain stood up in congress and said that RENAMO was a wonderful organization that was fighting “godless communists” FRELIMO. I’m not condoning FRELIMO by any means. But they were most definitely the lesser of two evils. I mean Regan, the biggest ANTI-communist of them all even had Samora Machel at the White House. Let’s not even talk about the Bush connections to the Saudis.

Please, let’s show the world that America can change and we won’t be the school yard bully. This is the first time I have seen first hand and felt personally the effects of some blunder of the idiots in congress who think patriotism is about killing anyone who gets in the way of the American way. My best friend in Homoine lost his father in that massacre and even though I was 5 at the time (so was he) I feel ashamed that a possible future president of my country had supported the people that killed his father…

No comments: