Friday, July 04, 2008

Will we ever need to leave home?

Google. Pretty soon the world is going to be pre Google age and Google age dated. Forget about BC and AD or BCE and CE. It's going to be PGA and GA. But really... I discovered something online today that was just AMAZING! It's Google's scanned in book partnership program. I vaguely remember hearing something about this, but let's just say I've been out of the loop for awhile. Anyway, I had gotten a request to do some translation between English Portuguese and Makhuwa. I don't speak Makhuwa but it is similar to Xitswa which I do speak a little of. Both of them were Bantu Languages so somewhat related. I went online to try and find the phrases and words I was looking for with a colleague from that area of Mozambique. Anyway, I found this digital library from Google. We were able to locate a scanned copy of this book from the early 1900's that is thought of as the leading example of Portuguese, English and Makhuwa translation. Funnily enough, it's written by a German for the Imperial Overseas Bantu Department. Ahhhh colonialism. Anyway, it was a big help to finish my work which lead me to completion of my first "professional" translation job. I remember the first time I got paid to act. $50 then and I thought it was amazing. With this work of, oh it maybe took me a half an hour, I made about 27,025,826.99 Zimbabwean dollars!

No comments: