Wednesday, September 24, 2008

200!!!!!!!!

SO in the spirit of my 200th post I thought I'd go WAY deep.

Enjoy!

So I was watching this movie I really love last night called SAVED! It is such a light and fluffy but hilarious movie. I was surprised how much I liked some of the writing. I pulled out some of the quotes. Having just finished this book called INFIDEL by a former Dutch MP, I’ve started thinking about religion a lot recently. What does religion mean to me? Can I really call myself Catholic since I’m by my very nature against much of what the Vatican decrees? Is religion about submission to a higher power or a conversation with it? I’m going to list the quotes now and give a slight explanation of them all. Enjoy, I know I am.

This (the bible) is not a weapon… YOU IDIOT!!!!

This is after the main character gets a bible thrown at her in an effort to “save her soul.” The Bible/Quran/Torah as a weapon… discuss….

You’re not born a gay, you’re born again.

I beg to differ…

Burn in hell you narrow minded tacky ass bitch!!!!

The only “Jewish” at an evangelical Christian school (who is actually the most “Christian” of them all) is yelling at this Bible thumping cheer leader who repeatedly tried to force JC upon her. Why is it that some of the most outwardly religious people are some of the narrowest minded?

You have everything…. What are you afraid of?!?!

A brother talking to his sister in the movie. I thought this could pertain to Americans right now too. After living will all this fear, I think it’s time to realize that as a country, we do have everything… so what is it that we are actually afraid of?

I know in my heart that Jesus still loves me!

The gay ex boyfriend of the main character who happened to get her pregnant in a effort to “cure his gayness.” This just says it all to me. Religion is about the feelings you have in your heart and not what you are told from outside influences. It’s all fine and good to do things in a group (we all love company) but without it coming from the heart, it’s empty.

No one fits in 100% of the time!

‘nuf said, could it be more obvious?

Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to be the same?

Really good question no? I mean how boring would it be if we were all black, white, yellow, or green. If we were all the same religion how would we get to experience wonderful feasts like EID or Seders? So I’m thinking we should get off each others backs and just let other people ‘do their thing.’ We can still think they are weird and strange though because what else would we have to talk about?

I think the Peace Corps needs to caution on some of their literature. We think we sign up for this to change the world and help others. I’m beginning to realize that it’s the world (Mozambique) that has changed and helped me.

No comments: