My mother taught me many things, but one thing I remember in particular is she always told me it's not polite to stare. Truthfully, I thought she was crazy. Now coming on to the middle of my 36th month in Mozambique (hot damn) I really understand why it's not polite. Walking to work this morning, two things happened to me that made me really look forward to the day when I won't be the mulungo anymore.
I was hacking out my 5th lung of the morning. My head cold still hasn't gone away. Some one in front of me started laughing. She came up and asked me if I were sick (I thought it was pretty obvious) and then just started laughing. I couldn't stop coughing, so I kept walking and so did she - right into a telephone post. She was too interested in my coughing (whoa! white people cough too!) About 5 feet later, the same thing happened. Not someone laughing at me in pain, but someone walking into a tree because they were more interested in me than in where they were going!
Am I that interesting?
No comments:
Post a Comment