Thursday, September 04, 2008

The latest and greatest

My job this year has morphed into being the technology guru here at the office. It’s fine by me because honestly, it has taught me a lot about windows and viruses that I didn’t know before. But I kind of regret what I’ve done now because in all honestly I’ve released a monster. I opened an email for the accountant so he could communicate with the head office in Maputo. I thought that was fine because he was willing to learn. Now, everyone has to have an email! There is one computer at work that has email. There are a couple places in town where you can pay to use the internet – but it’s 60 meticais an hour there or $ 2.40 or £1.50 so it’s a bit out of league. Everyone will be using this one computer to be sending emails to each other who they see in the office every day! It’s kind of cute but annoying at the same time. I just hope that I haven’t started something in a culture that is so good at communicating and saying things. Mozambicans talk a lot and I’m beginning to wonder if all communication will be in IM form now.

You all are probably laughing now, but just remember most of my colleagues don’t have running water but now they’ve got email. I’m having the damndest time trying to explain that an email just can’t be jose@gmail.com. You have to be a little more inventive then that. Passwords are even funnier. They person who wanted to open the above email thought up of this password 1234567890. Really imaginative! Google does this thing with security questions, here I think is my favorite. Please remember that I got this answer after I explained that a security question is a way for gmail to realize its you and for you to remember your password. The security question was DO YOU LOVE ME? And the response was YES I DO! Somehow this is supposed to make her remember the password CASTRO1984.

No comments: